----------------

MrBagel Funny: Latest Joke Listed

MrBagel News: Hottest News Stories

Bodgey Bagels Latest Caption Contest

Mr Bagels Latest Cartoon

Mr Bagel Latest Videos

Tuesday 9 January 2007

Peacetrain to nowhere... Your Childhood hero reveals himself to be a farce

The Paradox
I've
been a fan of Cat Stevens all my life. I remember sneaking out of my bedroom into the hall to listen to the grown-ups who were; listening to Cat Stevens.

I have his cd's in my car cd stacker.

Despite my intentions of converting to Orthodox Judaism, I have had some issues and a lot of indecision with regards to one of the very few singers I listen to regularly.

Cat Stevens becomes Yusuf Islam

So he converted to Islam, his brother brought a Koran from Israel of all places, brought it back to England, gave it to Cat and Islam became his way of life.

I tell myself, well everything I listen to was recorded clearly before he became a Muslim, so what ever he does with his private life now doesn't really matter.

A New Album
He's got a new album out, Another cup Yusuf

I was in a dilemma how can I buy it, should I buy it? Should I simply acknowledge he is of Islamic faith and that in no way means I can't appreciate his 'gift'.

Yes I think so...

That was until I read this report.

'NYT' Sunday Preview: Trying to Get Cat Stevens To Back or Bash Hamas

NEW YORK Most of Deborah Solomon's interview with once and current folk-rock singer Cat Stevens -- known for many years now as Yusuf Islam -- for this coming Sunday's New York Times is amiable enough, as he discusses his recent return to recording and his funding of Muslim schools in England.

But then she raises the obviously still touchy issue of attempts abroad to link him to funding various extremist groups, including Hamas. He had just said he still sells about 1.5 million albums a year netting him a small fortune. What does he think of Hamas?

"That's an extremely loaded question," he replies. Pressed further, he says, "I have never supported a terrorist group or any group that did other than charity and good to humankind."
Solomon responds by saying, fine, but many Americans would like moderate Muslims, such as himself, to denounce the extremists. Wouldn't he at least say he has "contempt" for Hamas?
"I wouldn't put those words in my mouth," he complains. "I wouldn't say anything on that issue. I'm here to talk about peace. I'm a man who does want peace for this world," says the man who wrote "Peace Train," adding, "and I don't think you will achieve that by putting people into corners and asking them very, very difficult questions about very contentious issues."

Crap! Your either against an organisation that advocates the death of Israelis and the destruction of Israel or you're for them. There's no contentious issue! Its not a loaded question. The only contentious issue here is the continual observation that so called 'Moderate Muslims' not taking a Radical Muslim group to task.

Wrong is wrong.

During the Israeli - Hezbollah war in Australia, there were huge 'Peace Marches' [read anti-Israel rallies], attended by thousands of Lebanese Muslims protesting against the War.

Yet do I remember:
Muslim Peace Marches when thousands collapsed to their death in the World trade centers?
NO
When 202 people, including 88 Australians were murdered horribly, whilst simply having fun in Bali
NO
When 191 where murdered in the Madrid Train bombs?
NO
When 52 people were killed and 700 injured on the London train and bus bombings?
NO

Yusuf you profess to want peace but:

Mr Religion of Peace your position is a farce and your religion, because of the lack of courage by its 'moderate' participants to confront evil is becoming a farce!

Why does it seem Muslims are only vocal when it suits their direct agenda?

For the whole of my life I've listened to your music and not heard your lies.

The journey is Over

Tonight it stops! I'm getting off, this Peace Train it is going nowhere.

You're inaction is a disgrace to the Peace movement and every thing you sung about Yusuf Islam.

A Failure to Act

Your failure to use your position of Standing within the Islam community betrays the fear you have of criticizing those very Radical elements.

Btw cutesy new website Yusuf, An Other Cup official web site

You paint quite the glossy picture of yourself.

But your refusal to criticize Radicals and Extremists within Islam speaks volumes on both you and Islam itself..

I'm sad. I could accept my favorite singer Cat Stevens becoming Yusuf Islam.

I even like your new album.

But I can't accept you being a farce.

You stood for so much that was important to me.I respected you for having the conviction to follow your choices, but your position now is intolerable for me.

Good bye Yusuf, I only have a distant memory of Cat now.

The second cut was deeper.

References:
SAWF.news: Former Cat Stevens returns to pop music world
Editor and Publisher: Trying to Get Cat Stevens To Back or Bash Hamas
Scotsman.com: Letting the Cat back out
Yusuf Islam: Peace Train [You Tube video]
cbc.ca: Web Exclusive interview: Yusuf Islam

Lyricsfreak: All Cat Stevens songs and Lyrics

Give Mr Bagel a High 5Hat tip: Charles from LGF
:Bagelblogger Appreciates your Vote!!
Technorati: * * * Peace Train * * * * * * * * Peace Train * * * *

0 Comments: